History of The Union Cemetery of Mays Landing, NJ
Written by James R Owen Sr.
On Saturday evening, February 23, 1867, William Moore, J.C. Abbott, John Clark, D.B. Ingersol, Francis Hoover, George Cramer, Thomas Smith, William Hoover, J. Wilson, J.E.P. Abbott and other inhabitants of Mays Landing and vicinity assembled at the Court House in Mays Landing and organized a Cemetery Association styled, The Union Cemetery Association of Mays Landing. At this time nine trustees were elected.
The trustees were Francis Hoover, John Clark, and R.D. Green, for a one year term. Robert Bing, J.E. Abbott, E.N. Rape were elected for a two year term. Tom Moore, Simon Hanthorn, and Rev. George E. Maddock were elected for a three year term.
On November 4, 1867, The Union Cemetery Association of Mays Landing purchased a ten acre tract of land from William Moore and his wife Jerushia, on the Mays Landing – Somers Point Road in Mays Landing, NJ, County of Atlantic, for the sum of $100.00.
This tract of land became The Union Cemetery of Mays Landing. The earliest burials in the Cemetery were actually buried prior to its purchase by The Union Cemetery Association. Jesse Clark was buried in 1851, Louis Clark was buried in 1855, James L. Clark was mortally wounded in the Civil War and died in a New York Hospital and was buried in 1864. George Clark was also buried in 1864, and Susan Clark in 1865.
Presently the Union Cemetery is managed by the following members of The Board of Trustees:
James R. Owen, President and Grounds Superintendent
Charles Dupras, Vice President
Thomas Judge, Recording Secretary
Site design- Richard Baxter Internet Design 609-829-3125 - Mays Landing, NJ